Sunday, March 13, 2011

Becky's talk in Sacrament Meeting

Developing a relationship with God!

John 14:6 “Jesus saith unto him, I am the away, the btruth, and the life: no man ccometh unto the Father, but by me.”

Inviting Christ into our lives is the only way to develop a relationship with God, but doing so is personal. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know us individually & touch us each differently, according to our needs. Ask yourself when in your life you felt the closest to Heavenly Father. When I personally ponder that question, there are just a few moments in my life that stand out from the rest. I can remember the details of those experiences and I rely on those times for my daily strength. Each experience that comes to mind has a common theme in my life. My family! My concern for my family has given me the ability, through Christ, to develop a relationship with God. As a wife and a mother I have learned for myself that families are very important to our Father in Heaven. So when I read the article by Julie B. Beck in this month’s Ensign I was very moved. I’ve already used the article twice in my miamaid class, so miamaids, please bear with me as I repeat myself.

Sister Julie B. Beck said, “Without the family, there is no plan; there is no reason for mortal life!” Elder Robert D. Hales said “The family is not an accident of mortality. It existed as an organizational unit in the heavens before the world was formed; historically, it started on earth with Adam and Eve, as recorded in Genesis. Adam and Eve were married and sealed for time and all eternity by the Lord, and as a result their family will exist eternally.” Julie B. Beck went on to say, “Parents, teachers, and leaders: live in your homes, in your families, in your marriages so that youth will develop hope for eternal life from watching you. Live and teach with so much clarity that what you teach will cut through all the noise youth are hearing and so that it will pierce their hearts and touch them.

Live in your home so that you are brilliant in the basics, so that you’re intentional about your roles and responsibilities in the family.” I love that statement! “Live in your home so that you are brilliant in the basics, so that you’re intentional about your roles and responsibilities in the family.” The first part of that statement talks about being Brilliant in the Basics and I believe that is the key to developing a strong relationship with God. How can WE be brilliant in the basics?
First of all what are the basics? According to Sis. Beck they are Family Prayer, Family scripture study, family home evening, making a priority of meal times, and speaking respectfully of our spouses. How can we be brilliant in these things? My first thought was to be smart or wise about doing them consistently, which is good. But, what is the real meaning of brilliant? It means shining and full of light! And of course Jesus Christ is the light of the world. Brilliance, or Jesus Christ, will come into the “basics” of our homes and families when we are intentional about doing them. When we value those family basics and do them with purpose, those moments will shine with a brilliant light. The light of Christ. The Brilliance of Christ! Christ’s light will be in our homes and through that brilliance, through that light, as parents and children, our relationship with God will form and deepen.

Quoting Sis. Beck again, she says, “Think in terms of precision not perfection. If you have your goals and you are precise in how you go about them in your homes, youth will learn from you. They will learn that you pray, study the scriptures together, have family home evening, make a priority of mealtimes, and speak respectfully of your marriage partner. Then from your example the rising generation will gain great hope.” In the Bible Dictionary it says…“Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness.” I believe that this is true. Just like the temple, our homes can be places where Jesus Christ resides. Our homes can be places where the Brilliance of Christ illuminates our families and gives us each the ability to develop a strong relationship with our Father in Heaven. President Thomas S. Monson said, “A home is much more than a house. A house is built of lumber, brick, and stone. A home is made of love, sacrifice, and respect. A house can be a home, and a home can be a heaven when it shelters a family.”

Once again, I quote from Sister Beck’s article… “The story of Isaac and Rebekah is an example of the man, who has the keys, and the woman, who has the influence, working together to ensure the fulfillment of their blessings. Their story is pivotal. The blessings of the house of Israel depended on a man and a woman who understood their place in the plan and their responsibilities to form an eternal family, to bear children, and to teach them. In our day we have the responsibility to send “Isaac” and “Rebekah” forth from our homes ... Every young man and young woman should understand his or her role in this great partnership—that they are each an “Isaac” or a “Rebekah.” Then they will know with clarity what they have to do.”
I have my own “Isaac” in my home who I need to raise and send forth with purpose and brilliance, to serve and teach the world. I also have Auriana, Natalie, Enoch, Miriam, and Ellie, all who must learn to understand who they are and what they need to do in this world. There is no other way for me to accomplish this than by developing a relationship with my Father in Heaven through Jesus Christ. There is no other way than through inviting Christ into my home. There is no other way than through brilliance in the basics of the family: family prayer with brilliance, family Scripture study with brilliance, family Home Evening with brilliance, family meal times with brilliance, and speaking respectfully of each other with brilliance.

I know that families are ordained of God and that my family and your family is important to Him. I know that our relationship with God deepens when we are obedient in the simple basics and when we invite Christ into our homes.