Three years ago when this YW presidency was first called. Jean A. Stevens spoke in General Conference and said “The gospel is not weight; it is wings.” Sister Clements used that phrase as a spiritual thought in one of our meetings back then and we incorporated it into some of what we did with the Young Women. That phrase has really stuck with me and has become part of me. The full quote from Sister Steven’s talk was “The gospel of Jesus Christ is not a checklist of things to do; rather, it lives in our hearts. The gospel “is not weight; it is wings.”4 It carries us.” Sometimes, especially in our callings the gospel can start to feel like a checklist, or the calling itself can feel like a weight, but I know that it is through these inspired callings in our church that we are given the ability to grow and progress. We learn to be more like Jesus Christ and we are lifted and carried and given wings to fly.
I have the easy and fun job of secretary in the Young Women, and I love it, it really hasn’t been a weight at all, but it has been WINGS to me as I think about ALL that I have learned from this wonderful presidency. It has been an honor to be there as they have sought inspiration and planned activities and experiences for the young women of our ward. It has been a privilege to sit in their Sunday lessons and feel the spirit. It is also always a wonderful experience to be around the Young Women and to feel of their testimonies and their excitement about the gospel. I’m so grateful for the past three years with these wonderful women and also for this new opportunity to continue in this calling with a new presidency. I feel blessed to get another chance to learn from some great women and to be around the wonderful Young women of our ward a little longer.
I know that this gospel can be our wings because it is true. I know that Our father in heaven has an amazing plan of happiness for each one of us and I know that it is sometimes through our callings in His church that he blesses us with opportunities to fly higher and become more. I’m so grateful for the Young Women program that is so inspired and that blesses me and my girls every day.